Frequently Asked Questions


Because, Is your loved one in need of help and a Nursing Home and/or an Assisted Living place seems like the only choice? An Adult Family Home can be a better alternative to a Nursing Home or Assisted Living. Adult Family Homes are private homes licensed by the state of Washington to care for up to six individuals. Care is provided in a home-like environment rather than an institutionalized setting which greatly improves the quality of life for each individual. Adult Family Homes offer varying levels of assistance with personal care, activities of daily living, intermittent nursing care, assistance with or administering of medications. Some Adult Family Homes also provide specialized care to people living with developmental disabilities, dementia, or mental health issues.

–So please make an Adult Family Home definately a choice to consider!

The Process to move in ?

Step 1- Consultation

We treat all initial calls as professional consultations. In this consultation we will discuss the issues that most concern you or your loved one. If you decide to continue with us following consultation, we will arrange for a meeting and tour of the facility with the potential resident and their family. If we all come to an agreement that this facility and the resident are right for one another than we will arrange for an assessment to be made by a qualified registered nurse. Assessments need to be made before time of move in.

Step 2- Assessment

A qualified registered nurse or case manager will conduct an assessment of you or your loved one’s physical and emotional health, as well as their current living situation. Information will be obtained by talking to you or your family regarding your personal and medical history. This assessment will provide you and your family with solutions to your caregiving needs by formulating a plan of care that fulfills the loved one’s unique needs.

Step 3 – Move in

Once the assessment is completed and reviewed by the facility, move in can start taking place. At time of move in or prior, the facility and you or your loved one will meet to sign contracts and consents. An inventory of the resident’s belongings will take place. Thirty days after move in the facility will make a detailed care plan tailored for the specific need of the resident. Afterward, care plans will be renewed every twelve months or if a significant change occurs in the resident’s medical situation.

What is an Adult Family Home?

An Adult Family Home is one of the living arrangements available to senior citizens and others who cannot comfortably or safely live alone. They are private facilities licensed by the State of Washington with a maximum capacity of six residents.

We are concerned about placing our family member in a care facility and we are feeling confused and guilty about doing so.

This is very common and many people feel this way when faced with this very difficult decision. Rest assured, caring for the safety of your loved one is a loving gesture. Eventually, dangerous falls and other issues have to finally be acknowledged and addressed by the family or guardian. It can be a daunting task for families to care for an elderly person and can be distracting from jobs, family, activities, children, and careers. This is especially true if their loved one also has special needs and services required. Many times the responsibility is placed on one family member who then suffers burnout. Often the best solution is to place a family member in a safe and professional home style environment where care is focused on their needs 24 hours a day.

How do I know which type of care facility to place my family member in?

Generally there are three basic types:

1. Assisted Living Facilities are for people who are independent in most ways and who are fully cognizant but might need some assistance with daily living activities. Assisted living is a desired place for seniors who do not yet need an adult family home. They are ambulatory, can easily walk to elevators, the lunchroom, and activities that are provided and do not need watching while sleeping during the night. They live as independently as possible in an apartment setting. Assisting living facilities are typically not licensed to give nursing care.

2. Adult Family Homes are for those who are forgetful, may fall, need help with remembering things, need assistance with activities of daily living, need monitoring or supervision during the day and at night, or who need more intensive help and care. When seniors require 24-hour specialized care and they are at risk for injuring themselves they should consider moving to an Adult Family Home which has both day and night professional licensed care.

3. Nursing Homes are for those that require more advanced or specialized care in which a typical Adult Family Home cannot provide. A person who has been determined by a physician to have a condition that requires skilled nursing facilities (i.e., they are a danger to themselves or others or have a debilitating condition) would be a candidate for a nursing home.


How can I tell which level of assistance they need?

There are qualified assessors who can do an assessment for an average cost of $200-$300. An assessment is required by law to determine your loved one’s care needs and create a care plan based on the assessment. You can contact us and we will provide you with information on how to reach our assessor.

Is it the responsibility of family members to make doctor appointments, pick up and deliver medications, transportation, etc?

We can make doctor appointments and can help arrange the appointment with the family but the family would transport the resident or arrange for transportation. This is standard for most homes due to insurance limitations. We have a visiting home doctor who cares for the majority of the residents in the home. The resident may register with the home doctor if they choose.

How many caregivers work at your facility? Is there 24 hour care?

A caregiver is always required to be in the home as per State regulations. At A home for Elderly AFH we have two (2) caregivers on duty 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. During the third shift one caregiver is allowed to sleep. Our caregivers are always nearby and able to provide 1-on-1 assistance for all activities of daily living.

What specific training do your caregivers have for this work?

Adult Family Home staff and providers have to undergo the following training:

  1. Fundamentals of Caregiving

  2. Home Care Aide Certification / CNA

  3. Continuing Education equivalent to 12

    hours every year

  4. Nurse Delegation

  5. Mental Health and Dementia

  6. Food Handling

  7. Diabetes

  8. CPR / First Aid

How are your staff members selected?

We diligently seek out dependable, caring, trustworthy, patient, and conscientious people to work with our clients. All of our caregivers have been carefully screened for education, experience, and criminal background check

How long have you been providing home care?

A Home for Elderly has been providing high quality care locally for more then 15  years

Are you licensed and carry professional insurance?

We are fully licensed and have general liability insurance coverage as required by the State of Washington to be able to run as a adult family home in vancouver washington

How much does it cost to be cared for at A Home For Elderly in Vancouver ?

Fees are based on the level of care and services required.


Do you accept Medicare or Medicaid?

Yes, we do accept Medicare or Medicaid and Long Term Insurance.

What is your policy on a private pay resident’s conversion to Medicaid?

When a private pay resident converts to Medicaid the resident can continue to stay. We request that the resident or the family will give two months advance notice. All residents will continue to stay in a private room and will continue to receive the same level of care.

What if I need to cancel services can I permanently remove the resident at any time?

Canceling services is not a problem especially in a case of an emergency. We would be grateful if you would let us know in advance.

Are all bedrooms private?

We have six (6) private rooms  some of them has private bathroom.

Are the bathrooms handicap accessible?

For our resident’s safety and protection all bathrooms and walk in showers have safety bars and grab rails to enable residents to safely enter and exit the bath and shower areas.

Are there televisions in the resident rooms? How about internet and cable connections?

Yes Television sets and cable connection are available  and  Wi-fi available everywhere in the permises

How do I reach someone after office hours?

For ALL emergency calls we are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. All non- emergency calls are taken during business hours between 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM.

What is the quickest way to contact the adult family home

You can call the owner directly Lavinia – (503) 914-9161 or call the home (360) 254-3498

“You found this house but you found more than just a house, you found a family and a home! for your you or your loved one”

Contact us Today

It Only Takes a Few Minutes to Get Started

Contact us

Call Us

Cell (503) 914-9161

Business (360) 254-3498

Our Location

13208 NE Village Green Drive
Vancouver, WA 98684

Get in touch